Battelle UK Limited (BUKL) is a wholly owned subsidiary of Battelle Memorial Institute and is comprised of approximately 100 scientists and operates laboratory facilities in Chelmsford, Essex and Havant, Hampshire in addition to a business development office in Geneva, Switzerland. We offer customers in the agrochemical and associated industries the opportunity to outsource the conduct of studies required to optimize the development of their products. Services include the following:
- Studies required for registration of life science products including pesticides, bio pesticides, pharmaceuticals and biocides.
- Dossier writing, expert support and advice needed to make a successful registration of a product.
- Invention and testing of novel pesticide formulations.
BUKL’s strategic goal is to provide first class laboratory, and regulatory services that add measurable value to our agrochemical customer’s products.
At its purpose-built facility in Chelmsford, BUKL uses modern analytical & testing equipment to develop & evaluate agrochemicals for clients from around the globe.
To support a renowned and expanding team of scientists we now require a full time, permanent Mass Spectrometry Expert. This is a mid-level position acting as a cross team resource and technical expert for LC-MS/MS and LC-Accurate Mass method development, metabolite identification and instrument troubleshooting.
- BSc level or above in Chemistry or a related scientific discipline or substantial previous experience.
- Have a minimum of five years’ experience conducting GLP compliant analytical studies (or similar, in a closely related field) with at least three of those years spent conducting metabolite identification or structure elucidation studies.
- Have extensive experience of structure elucidation to identify unknown molecules and breakdown products from chromatographic data.
- Possess extensive experience of LC-MS/MS method development and troubleshooting to optimise methods, and identify and solve sources of poor analytical performance.
- Can confidently troubleshoot instrument faults and solve instrument breakdowns.
- Be a skilled problem solver able to find pragmatic solutions to technical challenges.
- Possess the drive, motivation and commitment to ensure that all activities conducted by themselves and their team are of the highest possible standard.
- Possess a thorough understanding of extraction techniques and have proven ability to solve extraction issues and develop robust extraction methods.
- Have in depth knowledge and hands on experience with LC-MS/MS and LC-Accurate mass analysis, interpretation of data and an understanding of other modern chromatographic techniques.
- Have a good up to date knowledge of GLP procedures.
- Enjoy working in a team environment and training and developing technical staff.
- Display good organisational, written and verbal communication skills.
- To act as technical expert for LC-MS/MS and Accurate Mass (Orbitrap) systems.
- Provide technical expertise in the identification of unknown metabolites.
- Develop novel chromatographic and mass spectroscopic methods to solve analytical challenges.
- Conduct technical activities with a minimum of direction. Achieve high technical quality in assigned studies and projects. Apply principles, theories and concepts in an area of technical specialisation. Provide solutions to an extensive range of complicated problems.
- Train, mentor and lead a team of technical staff at all levels. To undertake staff performance evaluations and full line management responsibility for allocated team members. Train less experienced staff in various technical aspects. Plan and carry out appropriate self-development activities.
- Establish, monitor and control time and task schedules and budgets. Ensure projects are completed on time and within budget.
- May act as Study Director under GLP regulations and ensure all studies are conducted in full compliance with GLP regulations.
- To identify, investigate and implement new technologies which bring advantages to the quality or efficiency of study conduct. Develop solutions to complex problems that require the frequent use of ingenuity and creativity. Gain recognition for technical expertise.
On top of competitive salaries, BUKL offers an attractive set of benefits including bonus and a stakeholder pension scheme.
If you are attracted to the prospect of joining BUKL at this exciting time in its growth and development, then please send a detailed CV with your application.